Monday, March 7, 2011

The gluten free quest

I've always loved sweets. As a child I would sneak into the cupboard and pour sugar into my palm and eat it.
As a child, I began cooking in 4H. I don't remember too much from my early childhood cooking quests, but I do remember failing a lot; especially when it came to making pie crusts.
Luckily High school saved me. "What?!" you say, "High school saved you!?"
Yes, I took a baking class in high school and learned how to properly make desserts. I made my first successful pie crust in this class. It was this experience that led to what I am today:
"Becky Crocker" is the name my Mom gave to me after I began to become a successful amateur baker.
During and after high school I made pies, cakes, lavish danish rolls..anything sweet and semi complicated, much to the chagrin of my mother and her clean kitchen.


Unfortunately my baking quests came to a halt after I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in the summer of 2002. I was living in Europe when I was diagnosed and there was only one store in the entire city that carried gluten free products. They didn't carry any gluten free flours, and my baking quests were put on hold.

After I came back to the U.S. I tried various gluten free flours, but found that none compared to the taste and texture of wheat flour. I was continually frustrated as I tried to make my yummy desserts. I couldn't find the right combination of flours that tasted right and Xantham gum, which is needed as a gluten replacement, was very expensive to be wasted on failed baking quests

Then in 2008, my sister told me about the brand, Domata flour. She said you could use it for any recipe as it was "cup per cup" substitute for flour.
My sister and I were living in an apartment in Kansas City. Armed with my old baking recipes, I began my quest for good gluten free baked goods.
Domata flour was my baking savior!
I started making my pies, cakes, and cookies again. There are some tricks in making desserts turn out well when using gluten free flour, but it's been fun learning along the way...and pretty tasty too!

In 2011, I was at Borders Books trying to find a way to spend a gift card I had received for my Birthday. I decided to look in the cookbook section. There I found "Bon Appetit Desserts".
I thumbed through it and fell instantly in love!

I decided I would slowly make as many of the recipes from this book as I could, but..I would make them all gluten free.

And so..here I am: "Becky does "Bon Appetit desserts" gluten free.

Enjoy! and Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment