Sunday, March 13, 2011

Gluten free Crepes with Strawberries, cream and chocolate sauce


As a child, I remember seeing a recipe for Crepe Suzettes that was taped to the inside of our spice cabinet door. I don't ever recall our family making this recipe however.
A few years ago, I attempted to make gluten free crepes. I used corn starch instead of wheat flour and they turned out pretty well.
This time I decided to use a recipe I found online and substituted Domata gluten free flour for "regular" wheat flour.
Crepe Recipe:
4 eggs
1 cup gluten free flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
Blend all ingredients together in a mixing bowl or electric mixer for 2-3 minutes. Let mixture rest a few minutes and then mix again for another 2 minutes. Let the mixture set for a few minutes in the refrigerate.
Heat a space amount of butter in a small frying pan or crepe pan, if you have one. I don't have a crepe pan, so I used a small metal frying pan.
I used medium high heat.
Measure 1/4 cup batter and put in in the hot pan. Tilt the pan until most of it is covered with batter. Gluten free batter may need some assistance. If needed, use a wooden spoon to spread batter around.
When you see lots of little bubbles on the crepe, then flip it over using a spatula.
The crepe will cook up rather quickly, so keep a close eye on it.

Creme:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar.
The electric mixing bowl and beater must be cold before making this.
I put mine into the freezer for 10 minutes.
Put the cream and vanilla in the chilled bowl. Beat this for about a minute. Then slowly add the sugar. Add one tablespoon at a time. When soft peaks form, then remove bowl and place in the refrigerator for several minutes.

Chocolate Ganache sauce
6 ounces bitter sweet chocolate (chopped into small pieces). I used Ghirardelli squares because it's easier to chop and I like the taste of Ghirardelli.
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half.
2 tablespoons sugar.
Heat cream in sauce pan over medium heat. Add sugar, stir well. Then add the chopped chocolate. Mix with spoon until sauce is nice and dark and smooth.
Take sauce off heat and let cool for a few minutes.

Chop fresh strawberries into small slivers. Place a few strawberries in the center of the crepe. Put cream on top of strawberries. Roll up the sides of the crepe. You can use a dab of cream to keep the crepe closed. Dollop cream on top of crepe. Drizzle the chocolate sauce over crepe and plate. Add strawberries if you wish.

Other topping ideas:
Bananas
Warm up chocolate sauce and peanut butter in a sauce pan and drizzle that on top of the crepe
Raspberries
any other fruit you like. I don't suggest tomatoes though :)

3 comments:

  1. Nutella is another great idea for a topping. One of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my sister just suggested that a couple of minutes ago as I ate the last crepe. After being introduced to Nutella in Europe, I fell madly in love with it. It is a sinful delight that will remain at the store while I try to lose these remaining 15 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorites is Fairy Cream

    8oz cream cheese
    1 stick Unsalted butter
    5 drops Orange Oil (essential from Whole Foods)
    1 egg yolk
    1/4 tsp Salt - I use Himalayan
    1/2 cup Sugar or Agave Nectar
    1/4 cup Whipping cream
    1 tsp vanilla
    Blend the cream and vanilla with mixer until peaks form and set aside. Blend all other ingredents until creamy. Fold in whipped cream.
    Fill crepe with Fairy cream and raspberries!

    ReplyDelete