Thursday, March 15, 2012

             Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Biscuits





I have finally discovered how to make my biscuits light and fluffy.

1 1/2 cup GF flour. I use Domata brand. **Do Not pack the flour into the measuring cup. This is the first step in keeping the flour "light" and not condensed.

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Stir these three together very well with a fork. Then add: 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter. Cut the butter in with a pastry cutter. **Spend twice as much time as normal to make it look like a "meal".

Then add 2 eggs and half a cup of milk. (I use almond milk). **Make sure you stir the eggs and milk very well together.

Then make a "well" in the dry ingredients. Pour the liquid in and do broad, wide strokes to stir the liquid together with the dry ingredients. **The less you stir these together, the fluffier your biscuits will be.

Add a tiny amount of flour if dough is too sticky. **Then use a soup spoon and drop biscuit dough onto cookie sheet.

Bake Biscuits at 450 Degrees for 15-20 minutes on 2nd lowest rack in the oven.

2 comments:

  1. I made a second batch of these biscuits and decided to try something a little different. I doubled the batch EXCEPT for the butter. I wanted to cut down on the butter, so I only used 4 tablespoons of butter and then 4 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce. They cooked up just fine. The taste, of a plain biscuit, is a little bland, so maybe I would play with the ratio of butter/applesauce, and possibly up the amount of butter/applesauce in a double batch. But over all, I was really happy with the reduced amount of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to mention that the applesauce was added at the same time as the egg/milk mixture, NOT when cutting in the butter.

    ReplyDelete