Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Gluten and Dairy Free Coconut cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting



Some left over chocolate frosting led me to this:
I made a gluten and dairy free cake recently from a recipe found in "Cooking Free" by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. I had some left over chocolate hazelnut frosting and so I decided to use that to make another cake. The questions was, what should I make? This same book had a recipe for a Coconut cake, so I tried it out. The icing recipe is as follows:

6 tablespoons Almond milk
4 tablespoons butter flavored Crisco/shortening
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not from Dutch processing)
10 tablespoons honey
Justin's dairy free chocolate hazelnut butter or Nutella.

Blend all this together in the electric mixer. I chilled mine for a few hours so make it a creamer texture.

Here is the Coconut cake recipe as scanned from the book.
** I used Domata brand gluten free flour, and so didn't need a "flour blend" or the Xantham Gum. I also didn't have coconut extract.



No comments:

Post a Comment